Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDB 10
TitleDalton-in-Furness Co-operative Society
DescriptionAdministrative, membership and financial records
Date1940-1979
LanguageEnglish
Extent5
Context1861 saw the establishment of a Co-operative Society in Dalton. At first, the Society was veiled in secrecy due to fears of victimisation, but soon the decision was made to trade openly. The first secretaries were James Peters and James Harrison, with Thomas Harrison as shopman and general manager. The first shop was situated in John Atkinson's premises, probably in Skelgate. The following year land was purchased in Wellington Street and a new store was built. In 1872, a branch was opened in Lindal. It was decided that a permanent secretary was required, so in 1873 Thomas Mashiter was appointed to the post. In the same year a new grocery shop and warehouse were built in Chapel Street. Expansion continued with branches in Gleaston (1899) and Ruskin Avenue (1955); a bakery (1931); furnishing department (1934); mantles and millinery department (1949); and a mobile grocery (1950). In 1975 the Co-op's former premises in Chapel Street were listed.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019