Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDB 24
TitleBarrow-in-Furness Co-operative Society
DescriptionAdministrative, Financial and Members records
Date1861-1982
LanguageEnglish
Extent5
ContextBarrow Co-operative Society was established in 1860 by a group of men employed mainly by the Furness Railway Company. James Myers was the first Secretary with William Paton and William Walker as the President and Treasurer respectively. At first the society rented a shop in Greengate Street. Soon this proved too small so land was purchased on the corner of Mount Pleasant and School Street. In 1889 the society bought land from the Furness Railway Company at the junction of Dalton Road and Abbey Road for £2,500. A drapers, tailors, footwear and clothing shops were built, together with offices, stables and a bakery. In 1902, a new furnishing department and men's hosiery department were built and the bakery and stables moved to Buccleuch Street. By 1960, the society had 26 grocery shops in the town. By 1880 the society had 737 members with an annual trade of over £19,000. In 1910, the number of members had increased to nearly 10,000 and sales exceeded £258,000. In 1984, the Barrow Co-operative Society merged with the Cumbrian co-operative Society.
Physical descriptionMany items stored off site
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019