Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDS 19
TitleTown Bank Grammar School/Victoria High School, Ulverston
DescriptionThe oldest part of the collection comprises title deeds (22) and associated papers relating to Town Bank Grammar School (the forerunner of the modern school), 1607-1820 There are also admissions registers 1901-1977 (25 volumes plus an index) for the later Victoria Grammar School or Victoria High School; some duplicate admissions forms 1913-1925 (2 volumes); and fees registers (2) 1913-1922.

Records:
1607-1896 Town Bank Grammar School and Town Bank Foundation
1901-1932 Ulverston Victoria Higher Grade School/Victoria Grammar School
1932-1967 Ulverston Grammar School
1967- Ulverston Comprehensive School/Victoria High School
Date1607-1977
ContextThe earliest grammar school in Ulverston was the old Town Bank School, which emerged in the 18th century, using income provided by the will of Judge Fell in 1658. It was replaced as the town's main secondary school, when the Victoria Higher Grade and Technical School, which soon became the Victoria Grammar School, was opened on 18 September 1900. This was on land in Hart Street, belonging to the Town Bank foundation. The old Town Bank School buildings were demolished in 1905. A new Ulverston Grammar School was opened in Springfield Road on 1 November 1932. The school in Hart Street continued, for elementary education, as Victoria Senior Council School, and it became a Secondary Modern School after the 1944 Eduction Act. With comprehensive reorganisation in the late 1960s the two schools were combined to form the Ulverston Victoria High School.
Related materialZ886, Z897/25, Z1047, BPR 2, Z 1046
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018