Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDSO 108
TitleThe Old Barrovians' Association
Date1920-2006
Extent1 file
ContextFounded in 1904 as a link for old boys to the school with sports events, a magazine and an Annual Dinner at the AGM. Opening membership was 158 with an annual subscription of half a crown. The Association sponsored pulips and presented medals and prizes for both academic and sporting achievements. During the interwar years a lecture series commenced and membership rose to between 600 and 700. After the war the Association raised money for a Memorial Board for those who had died and helped with funds for the university education of pupils. In 1979 with the demise of the Grammar School and the emergence of Park View Comprehensive and a separate Sixth Form College the Association tried to aly itself with the College. The Association had earlier bought a Scout hut and land at Thorncliffe Road which was eventually let to the Scouting Association in late 20th century. The Association has branches nationwide.
Related materialSee also BDS 11, Barrow Grammar School.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019