Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDSO 154
TitleBarrow British Workman's Institute, Barrow-in-Furness (later The Kill One)
DescriptionMinute books
Date1918-1958
Extent5 volumes
ContextRescued from a skip when the building was closed. Club instituted in the Old Post Office on Back Hindpool Road/Lawson Street on 17 Aug 1899. Objects: mutual and social intercourse amoungst working men, irrespective of nationality or politics. tow first class billiard tables, large refreshment bar and two comfortable rooms for reading and cards. Contribution is 3s 4d per year. Club moved to Hindpool Road ( where Frankie and Bennys was ) and from there to the old Bowater Scott Club in 1933 paying £82,000 for the building. The building in Hindpool Road was sold to Blockbusters for £142,000. The club sold the building to Morrisons in the early 2000s and closed.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsMutual improvement societies
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019