Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDSO 27
TitleWomen's Royal Voluntary Service (W.R.V.S.), Barrow-in-Furness
DescriptionMinute books, administrative records, prison and probation records, publication
Date1939-1971
LanguageEnglish
Extent34
ContextThe Women's Voluntary Service was established in 1938 as part of the Civil Defence organisation. The Barrow branch was set up the following year. In 1966 the valuable work of the "women in green" was recognised by the Queen and the organisation became the Women's Royal Voluntary Service. The W.R.V.S. serves the community in many ways, including the provision of Meals on Wheels and Darby and Joan Clubs for the Elderly. In hospitals, they provide shops and trolleys for both patients and visitors. Adoption of refugee families and the provision of clothes for families in this country and abroad is yet another aspect of their work. Until the dissolution of the Civil Defence in this country, the W.R.V.S. was involved in the rest centres and first aid sections.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019