Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDB 148
TitleAskew and Bell, decorators of Carlisle
DescriptionAccount book, 1932-1958; certificates, 1963-1969; photograph, 1961; trade newspaper article, 1975
Date1932-1975
Extent0.5 box
ContextThe firm of Askew and Bell was founded in 1932 by Robert James Askew and Robert Bell and operated out of premises at 7 Crosby Street, Carlisle. Both partners had previously worked for Cameron and Keighy, painters.

The firm handled a variety of work, both private and commercial, and normally employed 4-5 painters. Robert (Bob) Bell died in 1958 when his son John Bell became joint partner. About the same time Robert Askew stepped down in favour of his son Robert Roland Askew, who gradually took over the main running of the business. Both partners retired in 1988 when the business was taken over by John Askew's son, Brian, who became sole proprietor. The firm had purchased a retail shop in Denton Holme, Carlisle trading as W G Keenen, which sold wallpaper, paint, etc.

The business finally closed in 1995
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019