Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDB 33
TitleWilliam Sutton, Ltd., Tanners and Curriers of Scotby, near Carlisle
DescriptionLetter books and telegrams; bundles of letters received; day books; wages books; Bormondsey Agency; Leicester Agency; Northampton Agency; Paris Agency; private/family affairs; receipts and invoices; memoranda; waste books; cash books; accounts; railway accounts; ledgers
Date1837-1912
LanguageEnglish
ContextIn its letter headings the firm claimed to have been "established 1780." It appears to have been almost exclusively a tanning concern until 1839, when currying was added (see advertisement in Carlisle Journal, 16 February 1839). A shop was opened at no.50 Scotch Street, Carlisle, in 1845.

The records of the firm begin in 1837 and survive in considerable bulk until 1912. During this period it remained in the hands of Elihu Sutton (died 1853) his son William Sutton (died 1879) and grandson, Alfred Sutton.

The tannery was the major source of employment in Scotby, and the Suttons took an important part in village life. As well as owning a lot of property in the district, the family provided a reading room, gas works, and sickness benefit fund.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019