Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDB 40
TitleCowans Sheldon, Civil Engineers of Carlisle
DescriptionIncludes partnership records; drawing books & registers; memoranda book; cloth tracing record books; order books; enquiry registers; tests record book; weight books; Engineers ' calculation books; miscellaneous papers
Illustrated catalogue of lifting machinery and railway plant (1914)
Microfiche (6 boxes) of microfilm cards and 1 box of 4 inch microfilms containing drawings of products
Date1623-1994
ContextCowans Sheldon was founded by John Cowans and Edward Sheldon, both of Newcastle upon Tyne and ex-apprentices of Robt. Stephenson &Co., in 1846. They opened at Woodbank Ironworks (s. of Upperby) on the Petteril in 1847. Expansion led to the purchase of their present site in 1857, and removal to it in 1869. In June 1961 they merged with Clyde Crane &Booth, and in August 1968 they merged with Clarke Chapman &Co. Ltd. as part of its Crane &Bridge Division.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsCivil engineering
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019