Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDFCF 8
TitleLattendales Guest House (Friends Fellowship of Healing)
DescriptionMinute books, accounts, finance, property, correspondence, photographs, sales particulars, surveyor's report, Dowson family history
Date1972-2006
Extent4 metric boxes 106 items
ContextJohn Dowson, miller, died in 1677, and is the earliest reference to the family who probably built the house, and extended it to become the Lattendales as we know it. There is potentially an earlier record of the Dowson family, for when Shap Abbey was dissolved by King Henry VIII on the 14th January 1540, one of the priests, Canon John Dowson, came to Greystoke and died there on 4 January 1553. There are no full records but from the few records that have survived we know that the family prospered through the intervening years.
In 1740 at Greystoke, John's grandson, also called John (1701-1771) married Abigial Greenhow; she died in childbirth the following year. He then married Jane Head in 1747. Jane came from a well known county family Foxley Henning, Dalston, and it is probably their importance that led future generations to carry the nsame Head.
Anne and John's two sons both entered the church and whilst the younger, Thomas, became rector of Langston, Monmouth and died there in 1830, William eventually assumed the office of principal of St Edmunds College , oxford, and also had the living of Bramley, Basingstoke. Earlier, whilst chaplain of Queen's College, Oxford, from which both he and Thomas had graduated, a student in a letter to his father in 1781 describes a summons to see the Rev. Dowson for half an hour or so as "bad Latin, bad argument, and bad philosophy."
There are details of William acting on behalf of his mother in 1786 selling land to the Duke of Norfolk of Greystoke Castle, pastures for which the rent had been "three shillings and four pence and one boon day service per year, and subject to the payment of one haricot bean and one penny! Eighty yaers later Thomas' grandson was to rent a piece of land opposite the house for sixpence a year, payment to be made on each Lady's Day and the site to be preserved as an ornamental shrubbery.
In 1876 a pipeline was laid from a sping two miles away to bring fresh water to Lattendales, the total fall being nearly eighty-five feet and thus not requiring the use of pumps. It is only in recent years that this pipeline has failed, and was used laterly for the supply of water to the garden pond and field troughs. The spring continues to flow. Ten years earlier Thomas Eramus Dowson had married Sophia Louisa Jocintha Rich; the daughter of Rear Admiral Rich. In 1907 Thomas Eramus died , following 4 years later by his wife, Sophia; it would appear that Thomas' younger brother William Scott Dowson was then living at the head home, Foxley Henning, and that William Scott's nieces took up residence there.
William Scott Dowson was born in 1852, fove years after William Dowson died and after his widow had married the Rev. Scott Mulcaster. He did take the Dowson name.
on 1913, the house was leased to Captain Strutt Irwin, and then used as a military hospital during 1914-1918 Great War.
1919 saw the sale by aucyion of the estate, comprising of the residence and four farms totalling abut 193 acres, payment being made to Eramus Charles Head in Toronto, Canada.
The house vhanged hands a further four times, the last private owners being Mr and Mrs Stephenson.
The Friends Fellowship of Healing purcahsed Lattendales in 1972. A few years ago 15 acres if land was bought back from Lattendales Farm, the Home Farm.
Beech House bed and breakfast is an interesting grade 2 listed property. Until recently Beech House formed part of Lattendales Country House.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019