Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDFCP 7
TitleGreat Salkeld and Plumpton Street Presbyterian Churches.
DescriptionRegisters of briefs, financial and administrative records, registers of baptisms and records of Revd. Timothy Nelson
Date1707-1959
LanguageEnglish
Extent41
ContextThe title-page of the Briefs Register (DFCP 7/1) shows that in 1707 there were Presbyterian Meetings at Great Salkeld and Linghouse, the latter having by 1711 become Plumpton. At the back of the register are rebuilding accounts for Great Salkeld's Meeting House, 1750. In 1876 this chapel was abandoned and a new one built nearer the road on ground adjoining. In 1876 a manse and cottage at Great Salkeld was bequeathed.

Plumpton Chapel was at Back Street (p. Hesket).

On 3 June 1890 Great Salkeld and Plumpton were placed by Presbytery under Penrith [(Lowther Street)] Session and Managers (It appears (from Item 2) that by 1896 Great Salkeld had returned to the care of its own Managers.); in November 1891 Plumpton's services were reduced to two a year, and the chapel (dilapidated by 1892) offered to the Wesleyan Methodists, who however rented it on repairing lease from 1892-1894. In 1894, the Presbyterian services were reduced to one a year (merely to show ownership of the building), and on 28 March 1899 the chapel was sold to the Wesleyans, whose successors in the Penrith Methodist Circuit still worship there.

*Note It appears (from Item 2) that by 1896 Great Salkeld had returned to the care of its own Managers
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019