Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceDLIN
TitleBurns Lindow estate
DescriptionThe Burns Lindow family estate included the iron ore mines of Longlands, Row Foot, Syke House, Pallaflat, Gutterby, Summerhow (Woodend), Jacktrees (Cleator) and Frizington Mines and Kelton Limestone Quarries. They also took over the Peel pits, and owned residential property in Cleator, Cleator Moor and Moor Row and various farms in West Cumbria including Black Beck Farm and Yeorton Hall Farm, near Egremont.They acted as JPs, served as High Sheriffs of Cumberland, as members of Cumberland County Council.

This collection represents their mining interests, with royalties, accounts, maps and plans, leases and employee records.
Date1755-1955
ContextThe Burns Lindow family owned Ehen Hall, Cleator and Irton Hall, Eskdale
Related materialSee also YDGO/Burns Lindow for early title deeds.
Catalogue levelFonds

Show related name indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NA1038Lindow; family; Ehen Hall and Irton Hall
NA1032Lindow; Samuel (1799-1871); iron ore mine owner1799-1871
NA1033Lindow; John (1804-1878); iron ore mine owner1804-1878
NA1036Lindow; Samuel Lindow Burns- (b 1869); iron ore mine ownerb 1869
NA1035Lindow; Jonas Lindow Burns-; iron ore mine owner
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020