Archive centreKendal
ReferenceWDB 7
TitleWilkinson and Sons, organ manufacturers of Kendal
DescriptionRecords of Wilkinson and Sons, Organ and Piano Warehouses, Kendal 1857-1951. Including stock books 1885-1951, account books 1857-1885, ledgers 1885-1934, wages analysis books 1939-1965, apprenticeship indenture 1881, cash books, vouchers, sketches and photographs, miscellaneous papers etc.
Date1857-1968
Access conditionsPlease note that prior notice of at least one week is required to view these records. Please contact Kendal Archive Centre to arrange access.
ContextThe business was established in 1829 by William Wilkinson, who made his son Thomas a partner in 1856. As well as being involved in the business, Thomas was first organist at Ambleside Church from the age of 18 for 35 years. William Wilkinson died in 1870 leaving the business to Thomas his son. Between 1880 and 1882 Thomas brought his two sons, William Greenwood and Croft, into the business and built the Aynam Road premises in 1886. William Greenwood Wilkinson was organist of the Kendal Wesleyan Chapel for 25 years. Thomas died in 1916 leaving his sons in joint partnership, William Greenwood died in 1927 and Croft died in 1935 leaving the business to his widow Edith J. Wilkinson. From 1935 the business was managed by Edith's daughter, Margaret Louise, and a works manager, Mr Austin Jones (1929-1953). In 1945 Edith J. Wilkinson sold the premises to Mr S. S. Smith of Messers W. G. Smith & Son, Liverpool and rented back a portion of it until Jan 1968. Edith J. Wilkinson died in 1954. In 1953 Mr Robert Norman Gray became Manging Director working with Margaret Louise until 1957 when the company was sold to Rushworth and Dreaper Ltd., organ builders of Liverpool. Margaret Louise remained in Kendal as Manageress and Director of the company which no longer built organs but continued to offer a tuning and maintenance service for organs and pianos until the lease on the premises expired on 31 Jan 1968 when these services were also transferred to Rushworth and Dreaper's head office in Liverpool.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsOrgan building
Accounts
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019