Archive centreKendal
ReferenceWDSO 51
TitleWestmorland Motor Club
Date1960
Extent24 programmes, 7 albums, 2 archive boxes and 1 tin
Access conditionsPlease note that prior notice of at least one week is required to view these records. Please contact Kendal Archive Centre to arrange access.
ContextNotes compiled from information supplied by Michael Duff, at time of deposit: The club began as the Westmorland Cycle Club in 1910, being set up by a "bunch of interested luminaries in Kendal". Names mention include Guy and Bryan Jefferys whose family owned the castle Green Hotel. The first event organised took place on Shap and family names mentioned include: Greenbanks, Westwoods, Harrisons, O'Loughlins, Inmans, Braithwaites, Chaplows ("tarmac family of Helsington"). The machines which were hand made began as bicycles with an engine attached and cylindrical petrol tank under the cross bar. The Braithwaites built motorcycles at their Staveley bobbin works. Bernard Crabtree or his father, made parts later for some of the adapted racing bikes (frame made in Shipley). There was a handful of intrepid women who were also involved in the early days. At one time roads could be closed for events. During WWI the club trained despatch riders and also ran social runs for wounded soldiers eg drive them from Kendal to Keswick in a side car. They can be seen in some of the photographs, distinguished by the grey uniform wounded soldiers wore. Margaret and Percy Duff were involved with the Club more on the organisational side. Percy did road trials but never competed. At one time the club had a social side, but this is no longer the case. The family's interest lay mostly with vintage motor cycles. Group organises the Barbon Hill Climb, which began in 1951 with cars. In 1960, to celebrate their Golden Jubilee, the group started a motor cycle event there too. This will not be held in 2012 as no one could be found to organise it
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019