Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDFCP 1
TitleWorkington Presbyterian Church
DescriptionChurch meeting minute book , signed, and miscellaneous minutes and notes. Elders minute book , signed. Miscellaneous correspondence, minutes and Church Officer lists. Also registers of baptisms (1745-1882), burials (1879-1882) and marriages (1838-1899) from Thompson Street chapel, and registers of marriages (1899-1980) from Sanderson Street chapel
Date1987-2005
Extent2 volumes, 1 file
ContextThe Workington Presbyterian Congregation was formed in 1742. Its first chapel was built in 1750, with manse adjoining. These were demolished in 1858-1859, when a larger building in the Early English style (Charles Eaglesfield, Maryport, architect) was built on the site, to seat 300. This was demolished in 1888 and replaced by the present building. Closing services in the 1858-1859 building were on Sunday 12 August 1888.The Sunday School was built in St. John's Court in 1873. The Manse ("Ivy Brae", Guard Street) was bought in 1899; in 1884, the manse was in Brow Top.The 1829 Directory (Parson and White) states that the church was in Sanderson Street, and was in connection with the Secession Church of Scotland.The 1847 Directory (Mannix & Whellan) states "The Presbyterians have a chapel in the Pot Market".The 1888 building was sold to the Pentecostal Church in 1980, and vacated in January 1981.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019