Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDFCP 3
TitleWhitehaven United Reformed formerly Presbyterian Church
DescriptionPapers James Street Presbyterian Church High Street Presbyterian Church, Whitehaven United Reform Church and West Strand General Sunday School
Date1694-1994
LanguageEnglish
Extent54
ContextThe United Reformed Church in England and Wales came into being on 2 October 1972 as a result of the union of the Presbyterian Church of England and the Congregational Church in England and Wales. The Presbyterian and Congregational churches in Whitehaven had actually merged prior to the national union, holding their service of union on 7 September 1969. Historically, there were two Presbyterian churches in Whitehaven: James Street [Market Place], built in 1695, and High Street, built around 1760. They had formed into one congregation, worshipping at the James Street church, on 24 February 1895.
Related materialThe records of the Whitehaven Congregational Church form a separate deposit (collection reference YDFCCL 1)
CopiesCopies of James Street baptisms, 1756-1858, are available on microfilm, and on the searchroom shelves for the years 1824-1889. Burials 1763-1768 are also on microfilm. A photocopy of High Street baptisms, 1749-c.1833 and 1889-1898, is also kept on the searchroom shelves.
Publication detailsFor further information please see Whitehaven United Reformed Church 1695-1995 by Anne Dick, available on the searchroom shelves at class reference 99 DIC.
Catalogue levelFonds

Show related name indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NA1323Whitehaven and district, Cumbria; Whitehaven United Reformed Church; 1969-; United Reformed Church1969-
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019