Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDSO 99
TitleNormandy Veterans Association West Cumbria Branch 51
DescriptionMinute books, 1990-2008; membership records, 1988-2008; histories by Joseph Ritson; photograph albums, 2004-2008
Date1988-2008
Extent9 volumes and folders
Access conditionsAll items open, with the exception of membership records [closed until 2028/access via Mr Ritson]
ContextThe NVA West Cumbria Branch was founded in 1987 by the late Joseph Bainbridge of Hensingham, Whitehaven. Those who had served in any service branch of the forces during the Normandy Campaign of World War Two between 5-22 June 1944 were eligible to join as full members. Others were permitted to join as Associate or Honorary Members (often other servicemen who had served in World War Two in other theatres, or who had served in the forces after the war). There were also 'widow members', spouses of members who had died.
The Branch usually held commemorations in Whitehaven twice yearly on 6 June and 11 November, and took part in commemorations elsewhere. Their pilgrimage to Normandy for the large 60th anniversary commemorations in 2004 is of particular note. In February 2008 the members voted to disband after a final ceremony in Whitehaven St Nicholas Gardens on 6 June 2008. The branch standard was dedicated on 6 September 1987 and laid up for the last time on 6 June 2008 in St James Church.
Related materialPlaques and other artefacts relating to the Branch formerly held in Whitehaven Civic Hall have been deposited with the Beacon Museum, Whitehaven.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsOperation Overlord (1944)
Veterans associations

Show related name indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NA911Normandy Veterans Association West Cumbria Branch; 1987-20081987-2008
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019