Name codeNA1055
Person/corporate nameParkin family of Ullswater; fl 1801-1911; family, landowners
Corporate namesParkin family of Ullswater
Other namesParkin family of Ullswater
Occupation/businessfamily, landowners
Datesfl 1801-1911

Show related catalogue records

Catalogue
ReferenceTitleDescriptionDateArchive centre
WDX 884Parkin Family of UllswaterRecords of the Parkin family of Ravencragg and Sharrow on the east shore of Ullswater.
The records include papers relating to a small number of inter-related families: Parkin 1788-1927; Rowley 1879-1924 , Hebson 1779-1906 and Deane 1672-1916. There are papers relating to farms and estates bought or inherited by the family - the majority of which lie to the east of Ullswater on the flank of Barton Fell. These include Bonscale 1752-1931, Cote Farm 1738-1898, Cross Dormont 1759-1925, Mellguards 1777-1935, Morland 1617-1853, and Swarthbeck 1745-1921. There are also papers relating to a small number of estates in Cumberland, in particular near to Whitehaven 1672-1916, which came to the Parkin family through the marriage of Hugh Parkin (1753-1838) to Sarah Margaret Macdowell (1770-1858). The estate papers mainly relate to land tenure in the form of title deeds, wills and settlements, but also relate to mining interests in the Whitehaven estates.
The records also include papers created, held by, or relating to the Parkin family solicitors, Little and Company of Penrith, (previously known as Little and Lamonby). The sudden death of both Major William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910) and his son, Colonel William Hugh Parkin (1869-1911) meant the Parkin estate was administered by the family solicitors for a number of years. Papers associated with both men at the time of their death were kept by the solicitors, along with papers relating to the financial administration of land, inheritance of the family estate and other interests such as the Eamont Harriers and Barton Parish Church.
[1538]-1960Kendal
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020