Name codeNA920
Person/corporate nameParkin; William Hugh (1842-1910); Major; Justice of the Peace
ForenamesWilliam Hugh
SurnameParkin
TitleMajor
Occupation/businessJustice of the Peace
Dates1842-1910
ActivitiesWilliam Hugh Parkin fulfilled various offices and roles in the community during his lifetime; as Justice of the Peace from 1871, High Sheriff of Westmorland in 1881 and Councillor for Patterdale on Westmorland County Council from the Council's inception in 1889. He was a Guardian on the West Ward Poor Law Union Board from 1871, becoming chairman of the Board in 1909.
He was also involved in both Martindale church (the church dedicated to St Stephen was rebuilt by monies from the Parkin family) and the school in Martindale. He was a trustee of the school and committed time and energy to ensuring the survival of the school in his lifetime.
A keen sportsman, he had a variety of interests including shooting, fishing, hounds and horse racing. He also had interests in the annual Ullswater Sports and the Cumberland and Westmorland Wrestling Association, for which he was chairman.
Career/biographyOnly son of William Hugh Parkin (1801-1881) and Catherine Corney Hebson (1809-1848), daughter of William Hebson of Penrith. Lived at Ravencragg, Howtown near Penrith where the family owned land and estates. Married Mathilda Adair in 1868. One son, William Hugh Parkin, born 1869 in Newcastle upon Tyne.
He joined the Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry as Lieutenant and rose to the rank of Major.
AddressesRavencragg, Howtown, Westmorland
SourcesObituary of William Hugh Parkin, Westmorland Gazette, 26 Feb 1910

Show related catalogue records

Catalogue
ReferenceTitleDescriptionDateArchive centre
WDX 884/4/1Major William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910)1894-1912Kendal
WDX 884/1/1/10Copy of Particulars of estates belonging to Major William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910)Includes Mellguards, Ravencragg and Cote Farm.[1898]Kendal
WDX 884Parkin Family of UllswaterRecords of the Parkin family of Ravencragg and Sharrow on the east shore of Ullswater.
The records include papers relating to a small number of inter-related families: Parkin 1788-1927; Rowley 1879-1924 , Hebson 1779-1906 and Deane 1672-1916. There are papers relating to farms and estates bought or inherited by the family - the majority of which lie to the east of Ullswater on the flank of Barton Fell. These include Bonscale 1752-1931, Cote Farm 1738-1898, Cross Dormont 1759-1925, Mellguards 1777-1935, Morland 1617-1853, and Swarthbeck 1745-1921. There are also papers relating to a small number of estates in Cumberland, in particular near to Whitehaven 1672-1916, which came to the Parkin family through the marriage of Hugh Parkin (1753-1838) to Sarah Margaret Macdowell (1770-1858). The estate papers mainly relate to land tenure in the form of title deeds, wills and settlements, but also relate to mining interests in the Whitehaven estates.
The records also include papers created, held by, or relating to the Parkin family solicitors, Little and Company of Penrith, (previously known as Little and Lamonby). The sudden death of both Major William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910) and his son, Colonel William Hugh Parkin (1869-1911) meant the Parkin estate was administered by the family solicitors for a number of years. Papers associated with both men at the time of their death were kept by the solicitors, along with papers relating to the financial administration of land, inheritance of the family estate and other interests such as the Eamont Harriers and Barton Parish Church.
[1538]-1960Kendal
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020