Name codeNA921
Person/corporate nameParkin; William Hugh (1869-1911); Colonel; Justice of the Peace
ForenamesWilliam Hugh
SurnameParkin
TitleColonel
Occupation/businessJustice of the Peace
Dates1869-1911
ActivitiesWilliam Hugh Parkin took up a number of public offices during his lifetime including Councillor for Westmorland County Council, serving on the boards of both West Ward Rural Council and Board of Guardians and as a Justice of the Peace from 1899. He became Commander of the Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry regiment on the retirement of Lord Lonsdale.
He had great interest in sports of all kinds including wrestling, shooting, hounds, and cricket. He took on public roles associated with his sporting interest; succeeding his father as chairman of the Cumberland and Westmorland Wrestling Association and as Captain of the Lowther Cricket team. He also had a long association with the Ullswater Foxhounds and the Eamont Harriers.
Career/biographyOnly son of William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910) and Mathilda Parkin. Attended Sedbergh School between 1882-1888 and Brasenose College, Oxford, [1889-1892]. Joined the Westmorland and Cumberland Yeomanry and rose to rank of Colonel, having been injured whilst serving in the Boar War. He was an agent for Lord Lonsdale and lived at Whale on the Lowther estate.
AddressesRavencragg and Whale Farm, Westmorland
SourcesObituary of William Hugh Parkin, Cumberland and Westmorland Herald, 14 Jan 1911

Show related catalogue records

Catalogue
ReferenceTitleDescriptionDateArchive centre
WDX 884/4/2Colonel William Hugh Parkin (1869-1911)1900-1911Kendal
WDX 884Parkin Family of UllswaterRecords of the Parkin family of Ravencragg and Sharrow on the east shore of Ullswater.
The records include papers relating to a small number of inter-related families: Parkin 1788-1927; Rowley 1879-1924 , Hebson 1779-1906 and Deane 1672-1916. There are papers relating to farms and estates bought or inherited by the family - the majority of which lie to the east of Ullswater on the flank of Barton Fell. These include Bonscale 1752-1931, Cote Farm 1738-1898, Cross Dormont 1759-1925, Mellguards 1777-1935, Morland 1617-1853, and Swarthbeck 1745-1921. There are also papers relating to a small number of estates in Cumberland, in particular near to Whitehaven 1672-1916, which came to the Parkin family through the marriage of Hugh Parkin (1753-1838) to Sarah Margaret Macdowell (1770-1858). The estate papers mainly relate to land tenure in the form of title deeds, wills and settlements, but also relate to mining interests in the Whitehaven estates.
The records also include papers created, held by, or relating to the Parkin family solicitors, Little and Company of Penrith, (previously known as Little and Lamonby). The sudden death of both Major William Hugh Parkin (1842-1910) and his son, Colonel William Hugh Parkin (1869-1911) meant the Parkin estate was administered by the family solicitors for a number of years. Papers associated with both men at the time of their death were kept by the solicitors, along with papers relating to the financial administration of land, inheritance of the family estate and other interests such as the Eamont Harriers and Barton Parish Church.
[1538]-1960Kendal
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020